Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR) Requirements for the Manufactured Food Commodities Effective 15 July 2020

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) gives notice to inform importers and brokers that the CFIA will be updating the Automated Import Reference System (AIRS) to include the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR) licence requirement for the Manufactured food commodities that will require a SFCR licence on July 15, 2020.

On July 15, 2020, new requirements relating to licensing, preventive controls and traceability under the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR) begin to apply to businesses in the manufactured food sector. However, as announced on April 7, 2020, the CFIA will not prioritize compliance activities related to these requirements during the pandemic.

The category “all other foods” would include manufactured processed products such as confectionary, snack foods, beverages, oils, dried herbs and spices, nuts and seeds, coffee and tea, processed grain-based foods such as baked goods, cereals and pasta etc.

Examples of manufactured foods could include:

  • confectionary and snack foods (for example, chips, cookies, chocolates, candy)
  • non-alcoholic beverages (for example, coffee, tea, or carbonated beverages)
  • grain-based foods (for example, cereals, crackers, dried pasta, breads, baked goods)
  • condiments, seasoning and other (for example, dried herbs, spices, nuts, plant-based fats and oils)
  • ready to serve liquid formulas, concentrated liquid formulas or powdered formulas for infants

See other examples of types of food.

The list of affected HS codes will be provided on July 15, 2020. As an importer, you will require a Safe Food Licence to import the food into Canada under the “other food” category.

To find out if and when you need an SFC licence, refer to the licencing interactive tool

View the timeline table – All other foods (manufactured foods) category.

There are certain steps to be taken before a licence is issued.  The importer must sign up and open a “My CFIA” account and setup their business profile prior to application.

You will need to comply with those requirements of the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations (SFCR) related to licensing, preventive control plans (PCP), preventive controls and traceability.  The prevention control plan (PCP) and traceability must be provided to CFIA and is required to obtain the licence.

Resources Links

Importing food to Canada: Guidance
Regulatory Requirement: Trade SFCR
What to consider before applying for a Safe Food for Canadians licence
Timelines: When you need a Food licence for your business

Manage your application online -Centre of Administration for Permissions

CFIA National Import Service Centre for more information.
Telephone: 1-800-835-4486 or 1-877-493-0468 (Canada or U.S.A.)
1-289-247-4099 (local calls and all other countries)

Or Telephone: 1-800-442-2342/613-773-2342

If you have questions, fill out our online form or call 1-800-442-2342.